Reading for Personal Growth, 40 Days with God Reflection by Matthew Myers
Day 4- Watch your Language
and yet another “Ohhhhhh, shoot” on my part. This book of James Chapter 1 is getting me. Yeah still in the first chapter and a lot of self-reflection going on over here.
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. DO what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it-not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it – they will be blessed in what they do. Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.
James 1:22-26 22
This one gets me in so many ways. Five little verses but AT LEAST three major points it makes to me here.
- Listening to sermons, going to church, reading the Bible, listening to it in your car… ALL is worthless if you “deceive yourselves” and do not do what it says. (Personally that one hurt)
- Basically, if you are not going to apply the word to your life and do what it says, then all the reading, study, and church is folly.
- And finally, (this one really struck me too. Guilty) If you are going to call yourself religious and/or a Christian, mind your tongue. Your tongue is a conduit to all that is inside of you. If you let your tongue spew hatred, filth, and derision, then your religion is worthless. No one will remember you for the religion you speak, but rather the hate-filled thing you said about another person, group or thing, be it their race, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or whatever.
We have to show God’s love to everyone, even and especially to those who do not agree with us.
I welcome any comments/thoughts whether in the agreement or otherwise below.
THINK ABOUT IT.
If you have been blessed by the article, follow my brother and hear more of those personal insights, and don’t forget to SHARE!
For more articles like this
- 40 Days with God: Day 13 – Live as children of light
- 40 Days with God: Day 12 -Follow Christ example
- 40 Days with God: Day 11 – We are Christs Handiwork
- 40 Days with God: Day 10 – It’s about Others too
- 40 Days with God: Day 9- You have Purpose